Thursday, June 26, 2008

Double the panic fun!?

We live in a dorm type setting. We have commercial fire alarms in each apartment. If something was to happen in our apartment, or if I was to burn something, the fire alarm goes off in the entire building. I don't know we fully understood that until last night. The alarm is very, very loud. I know this because during the day a couple of weeks ago, some workers set it off accidentally and Tay was in the middle of a nap and slept through the whole thing...don't know how.

Sterling and I were talking just before going to bed last night - 10pm when the fire alarm went off. Of course, I jumped right out of bed, grabbed Taylor, and ran outside, assuming Sterling would get himself out there. He was only in his white pj's, so he had to quickly get dressed. There we were, the entire building standing outside waiting for the alarm to go off. Come to find out, one of the apartments burned a hot dog.

Taylor was wide awake at that point, but handled everything well and went right back to sleep when we got in. Sterling went right to sleep and I had to take a minute to calm my nerves and eventually went to sleep.

We were sleeping well, when the alarm when off again!!!! This time, I put on shoes, grabbed Taylor, and grabbed my purse. It was 2:30am! No one bothered to go to the "area" we were suppose to meet. We just stood right outside the door. We kept thinking "what person pulled this prank to do this the second time in the same night?!?!?" After doing some research for a couple of minutes, the cops directed us to the building right across from where were were. We all waited in the lobby. This building is empty during the summer. We all waited in there for a little bit and then an ambulance and fire truck showed up. Now I'm freaking out. First, sirens scare me...they always have...and to think our building was on fire terrified me. We don't have our entire life out here, but my computer, with my entire life was in there. The firemen put on their gear and a few minutes later walked out and took it off. No one got in the ambulance. I started calming down a little. After being in the lobby for about an hour, we were finally able to go back in to our building. One of the apartments had bad wiring with their toaster oven, and it did create some smoke. Toaster ovens are now off limits. Taylor went back to sleep just fine, luckily, but woke up at his normal time. Sterling decided to go to work a little later than usual since we had such interrupted sleep. I had a hard time getting to sleep and took some medicine to calm my nerves, which made me very tired. Let's just say I'll be getting a nap in today. What are the chances??? Twice in one night at a very inconvenient time!

When I was pregnant with Taylor, we were staying in a nice hotel in New York City and in the middle of the night, the fire alarm went off. We were on the 51st floor and freaked out big time. I didn't want to walk down 51 flights of stairs 7 months pregnant. We went down the elevator just to be sure. Ahhhh!

This stuff scares me to death. I think the noise is soooo loud it makes it worse. I'm just glad we were safe and got some sleep. And, when do you ever get to see a group of college kids in their pj's. Don't worry, we had a colorful arrangement. Yep, a lot of guys sleep without their shirts on!

7 comments:

S and B H. said...

Okay that is awful but I did laugh at the end..."a lot of guys sleep without their shirts on!" Oh I am sure you got quite the site. Oh my! That just reinforces my reasons for sleeping with clothes regardless of how hot it is!!

Spencer said...

Hilarious. I don't know what I would do if that happened to us. I'm sure Owen would want to play cars or something afterwards. I would have to get dressed too, since I always wear my white pj's to bed.

Jen Petty said...

OK, that was one of those things that will be funny when you look back at it, but I'm glad it was you and not me. I'm glad Taylor went right back to sleep. What a great kid.

kachers said...

what a NIGHTMARE! I can't believe it went off twice in one night. We sure miss you around here - but it sounds like life is interesting out there:>

CandraWynne said...

I'm so glad that everything was ok :) We miss you!!

Traeger Tribe said...

That happened to us in Toronto more than a few times... We finally got to the point where we would put a pillow in front of the alarm speaker (there was one in each apt) so that Colton wouldn't wake up - OH and we were told to stay in the apt unless we heard otherwise, but only the FD could turn off the alarm - which always took forever. The only night I got really scared was when the dumpster caught on fire which was right below us. Seth had to stop me from taking Colton and running down 7 flights of stairs... oh the memories.
Won't it be fun when we have our own houses?! Something to look forward to...

Amber said...

As you already know, I too sleep and hang out in my 'white pjs' so I'd be in big trouble in that situation. Maybe I should start sleeping with a pile of clothes next to my bed.