Sunday, February 24, 2008

God knows the intentions of the heart

Today has been a great Sunday. You know how you just have those every once in a while? We got up early (thank you Taylor), had a great breakfast, and by 9 dishes were done and we could relax because church didn't start for another 4 hours! Taylor took a morning nap, Ster crashed on the lazy boy and I decided to read on our bed. All the windows were open and it was so relaxing.

I got ready for church early, Taylor woke which woke up Ster, and then the boys got ready. I made a nice lunch to feed Taylor at church...to keep him busy...and we were out the door 10 minutes early! We were feeling so good! We were feeling good, until we showed up to the church, AND NOT ONE CAR WAS THERE! We freaked out, actually. Then, we started laughing and said, "Could it be Stake Conference today?" Last Sunday we were in Sacrament Meeting (and don't remember hearing any announcement) and the Sunday before that we were at a different ward. We have church at 1:00, so even if it was Stake Conference, we knew we missed the entire thing! As we were laughing our heads off, we drove to the Stake Center...to find...NOT ONE CAR! The parking lot was a little dusty...and that's when we knew it was in deed Stake Conference. (they have people park on a ball field right next to the church for Stake Conference) We were laughing even harder. We didn't know what to think or how to feel. It's one thing to "just not go", but it's another to be totally innocent and not know about it.

Sterling called his friend Taylor to see if knew what was going on. He said (paraphrased) "Yes, it was Stake Conference today. It was awesome! Elder Oaks was there. I guess there was some Stake President that had to be released and so he was there to clear things up. When conference was over, he stood at the door and shook everyone's hand. It was pretty amazing and probably the best Stake Conferece I've ever been to." I was in the back seat on the verge of tears. Then Taylor says to Sterling, "I have to make a confession, we didn't go to Stake Conference either, I have no idea what happened."

I usually know about everything and have it on my calendar ahead of time so I don't forget...well, not this time. Mostly, we were totally embarrased that we showed up to the church and no one was there, and embarrassed that we didn't know about it. Our Relief Society is super organized and passes around a flyer each month with a calendar of events on there. You would have thought I would have noticed it and marked it on the calendar. This has never happened to us before...and hopefully it will never happen again.

5 comments:

S and B H. said...

LOVED that story--I told Bryant and he thought it was soo funny too! So true...INTENTION matters!! Oh, and I love the balcony for Taylor. AND your darling header.

Dubb Days said...

I think that it was great of your friend Taylor to make up that wonderful story. I think Sterling would do the same thing if it were the other way around. How cute of Taylor on the balcony!! Isn't it great we live were we can play outside in February!!

Jen Petty said...

You're not alone! See my blog to see how it gets with two kids... though we did make it to stake conference at the end, I asked Eric, who was in the choir, what it was about. That's about how much I got out of it watching two kids by myself!

Amy & Greg said...

That was the greatest post!! I kept looking at the date to confirm that, yes, you were talking about the 24th--the Sunday of Stake Conference. It was very good, but don't worry...you can't get my notes.

Jessica said...

what a great story. I bet you were so frustrated to miss church after all that.