Monday, January 28, 2008

President Gordon B. Hinkley


I will always remember President Hinkley as the prophet of my youth. I loved his sense of humor and the cute relationship he had with his dear wife. They always seemed to be having FUN together and I loved that about the both of them. I am sure there was great joy when he was greeted by her on the other side.
When I was in college, there are 2 firesides he gave that stick out in my mind. First, when he called all youth to attend a fireside that would be broadcasted. I went to my parent's Stake Center to watch it with some friends. There, he presented the 6 "BE's". I remember at this time in my life I wanted to show some independance, so I was considering getting a second piercing in my ear. At this fireside, he specifically mentioned that one hole in your hear was enough. I was grateful I hadn't gotten it done yet.

The second fireside was September 9, 2001. I was on UVSC Institute Council at the time and one of my friends (or the institute, I can't remember) got tickets to attend this meeting in the Conference Center. We had REALLY good seats, only a few rows away from the pulpit. It was a wonderful meeting and the only thing I remember from it, was the feeling I had of being positive and happy. We all know what happened two days later. I believe he was truly inspired to have this meeting.
Another thing I will always remember is the picture I have of him displayed in my home (it's now in a box somewhere). It's a casual picture of him at a BYU football game. In this picture he looks exactly like Sterling's grandpa. When kids would come over to visit, they would say, "look there's Sterling's grandpa." I would let them know that that was President Hinkley and they would look a little closer just to make sure I was right.
One last thing (that I can think of right now) that I will remember about the time he served as Prophet was being with the Primary children. I served in Primary presidencies in various wards for about 5 years. I loved hearing the children say, "Look, there's President Hinkley." Just hearing them say that brought such a sweet spirit.

It's sad to have him gone, but what a joy he's having with his wife. We are lucky to be part of the true Church that will move on and move forward in a very organized fashion!!!

1 comment:

Dubb Days said...

I have that same picture in our home and I love it. Thank you for sharing your memories of him!