We welcomed Austin into our family on Tuesday, August 23rd. It was a planned c-section. I was secretly hoping to go into labor before then because I was miserable and so done with being pregnant. I never did. Leading up to the day, I had my moments of being nervous and being excited. Monday, the 22nd was a great day for me. We got stuff done around the house and for the most part, I was getting excited. Sterling gave me a blessing Monday night and it was very comforting. I slept pretty good Monday night and Tuesday morning I just stayed in bed as long as a could and just relaxed. I was overwhelmed by the amount of people thinking of me on that day. I am so lucky to have such great friends and family.
I was suppose to be at the hospital at 10:30 Tuesday. We dropped Taylor off at the Tuckers (our friends and neighbors) and got to the hospital around 10:45...opps ;-). We went in and got all registered and then went to triage. I was so amazed at how calm I was. I know it was a huge blessing and an answer to a lot of prayers. I was in the care of great people. I made sure to ask a lot of questions. I loved how every medical personal explained everything to me. The worst part about triage is I was SO UNCOMFORTABLE. The bed was hard and I was uncomfortable anyways being pregnant. I had the heart monitor on my belly and the nurse kept saying how excited he must be to get here!
The surgery was planned for 12:30. My doctor came in to see me in triage and within 10 minutes I was in the OR. Once I was there, everything seemed to go so quick. I wasn't sure if I was ready for all of this. I again, was so relaxed it was amazing. They gave me my spinal and then Sterling joined me. It was so nice to have him there with me and just holding my hand. I did not want any pictures in the OR. As they started the surgery, the staff started saying "if you want pictures, get your camera ready." I asked Sterling to stay right with me. He was so great and did. My favorite part about the surgery is I wasn't too drugged up. I was totally aware and with it and got to enjoy the birth. With Taylor, I was on morphine and started getting so luppy during the surgery. Sterling looked over the curtain as Austin was being born and said, "black hair. he looks just like Taylor." I told everyone I wanted to see the baby clean. So, they did their thing, cleaned him and I got to see him. Sterling took him into recovery while they finished me up.
They wheeled me into recovery and I was there for about an hour and a half. The doctor came in to see me and the nurse did some testing and bathed Austin right there in the recovery room. It was so fun to have the baby with me the whole time. Much different experience than with Taylor. I did shake pretty bad in recovery and so I waited to call people until I got to my room.
I went to my room and mostly was just tired. I was again so glad to be all with it and I was loving life. After getting settled and relaxing a little, I called the Tuckers to bring Taylor. That was a priceless moment. Michelle took him to get balloons and an outfit. Taylor was SO EXCITED to see his little brother. I wasn't sure if he knew what to expect, but Taylor took everything so natural, it was great!. My hospital stay was fine and I had great nurses. I walked around for the first time that night. My evening nurse was my favorite. I started getting bad gas pains and she did her best to take good care of me both nights I was there. She even went home thinking about me and wondering why I had them so bad. I am pretty sure it was apple juice. That's what I was craving after surgery, but with all the sugar and fiber, I am sure that's what did it.
I found out I was still anemic and now taking 2 iron pills a day. My doctor told me I looked great Thursday night and asked if I wanted to go home. I was feeling pretty good Thursday (as opposed to Wednesday when I was feeling yucky all day). I thought about it for a minute and decided I would go home that night. I am so glad I did. Once I got home, I was comfortable and the pains were manageable.
A friend and neighbor of mine had her baby Wednesday afternoon. When I found out she was 2 doors down, I got so excited. I went and visited with her a couple of different times on Thursday. It was so fun to know someone close-by. I had a friend right next door to me when I had Taylor. It just seems more like a party when you know someone in the hospital with you.
Austin is a great baby and I am loving every minute of him. It's so much easier this time around because both Sterling and I know what to expect a little more. Taylor is a great big brother. We enjoy being together as a family and relaxing ALL DAY! Thanks to everyone for their thoughts, concerns, and prayers. We have felt them and feel so grateful for wonderful friends and family.
Here are some pictures to enjoy...
7 years ago















12 comments:
Congrats! He's DARLING! Hope your recovery is fast! :)
oh goodness he is so darling! He looks handsome already!! So funny that your mom taught at the elementary school across the street from me...I guess she isn't there anymore because she is going back to school, right? It was funny...If found her picture on the school website halfway through the year and then had to go say hi to her. Congrats on your new addition!
It was so fun to see you and the baby last night. Austin is a handsome little guy and I love him already! We are so glad you, baby and family are all doing so well!!!
Congratulations! He is such a sweet baby and I'm so glad you had a great birth experience. xoxo
So cute. Love the name. Have a blast with your boys. They will be best friends. Go Gabbitas family.
Congrats!!! So glad everything went well and that he is here!! I always hate being pregnant.... and I'm so glad when it's over too. I love finally getting to hold my baby in my arms and introducing them to their siblings is AWESOME!!!! Such a great moment!!! So happy for you guys!!!!
You look great Steph. Can't wait to see Austin he is super cute. Tay loves him so much.
Congratulations Gabbitas Family! Stephanie you look amazing and I can't wait to see your little guy in person! I'm glad everything went so well.
Congratulations! Taylor is a big brother and looking so grown up.
Congrats & best of luck adjusting to 2. Glad things went well...he is adorable.
Congratulations, he's adorable!
loved the post!! Glad everything went so well. can't wait to meet him :)
Post a Comment