Sunday, April 25, 2010

New Calling and I want help...



Yep, first time in the Nursery. I'm super excited about it though. I was called as the Nursery Coordinator. I love it because I'm in charge of something, but not in charge of everything. I remember being in a Primary Presidency a few years ago in Utah in growing ward and the Nursery Coordinator was the life saver. I hope I can be that person. Since Taylor has entered Nursery, I have found a new love of that little age group from 18 months to 3 years. Poor Taylor has now been in 4 different Nursery classes. Each ward has been different and I have taken ideas from each of those wards. What I need is ideas of activities or other things to do in Nursery. Do you have any ideas or know of any good blogs I could get ideas from? I will take and and all ideas. We have a great set up now, but I want to add to it. I would love your suggestions and ideas.

9 comments:

megan&steve said...

Jakes nursery leader here in GA wears an apron with fruit snacks inside when she gives the lesson & as each child sits down to listen she gives them a treat. Positive reinforcement for listening. They also have the singing time twice, which breaks up the time nicely.

Meedy said...

Congrats Steph! That is going to be a fun calling, especially because you get to be in it with Taylor for the rest of the year! Our nursery has placemats for snack time that are cute. They have pictures cut out of church magazines and their name.

Lauren said...

Yay! You'll be great! Bubbles are always a great idea to have the teachers blow while parents are dropping kids off. Helps with less tears! :) I'm sure Kristy will be so grateful for an awesome coordinator!

nicole said...

hey steph give me a call. i have the same calling.

CandraWynne said...

How fun you will do great with that calling. I LOVED LOVED LOVED McKayla's nursery teachers and to this day it amazes me how organized a class full of 20-25 18 month-3 year olds can be. They do a couple of stories in the beginning usually the sames ones because the kids love them so much. They also do play dough ever week which just amazes me but the kids love it and handle it very well. Snack time, lesson time and play time and it was time to go home. McKayla was very sad that she had to leave them to go to primary. Good Luck!!!

Breena said...

Wow. Good Luck. I think sugardoodle.net has supplements for nursery.

My mom was nursery coordinator a couple of years ago and she bought a bubble making machine that she would turn on for a few minutes at the end of class. The kids LOVED it and it really helped some of the young, reluctant ones transition and look forward to nursery each week. A non-sugar bribe :)

Susanne said...

One of Luke's nursery teachers ties balloons at the end of each Sunday. They are usually just simple hats. All the kids love them.

shawnajctenney.blogspot.com said...

Haha, that is my calling too. Apparently, it's where you go in a new ward. :) I've been a Nursery Teacher and now I am going to be the assistant Nursery leader doing Music time. I have lots of good ideas for music. Email me if you want some ideas for that. We have 4 nurseries.

Our Nurseries always start with an opening activity which is good for the kids after sacrament meeting. We choose different ones every time. There is puzzles, play dough activities, race cars with tracks, Giant Mr. Potato heads, colored pom poms with matching colors in egg cartons, and a water activity. We mix it up and do something different every time. We do that for about 20 minutes before we start the lesson and it gets the kids wiggles out.

Ralina said...

That is what I am in our ward also. I'm trying to think of other fun and exciting things for the kids. We have a ton of kids (3 nurseries) and a lot of them are still criers and we need to figure out ways to distract them better. We don't have enough leaders also which makes it frustrating. Anyway, I may need to talk to you in a few months on things you do in there.