Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Discussion Board - Swine Flu Vaccine

A few posts down I posted something about the Swine Flu Vaccine. I loved the comments so much, I thought it would be interesting to get some more comments about it. How do you feel about it? Will you be getting it? Will you be giving it to your children? Take the time to read comments as well. If you're blog surfing and I don't even know who you are, or haven't talked to you in years, please still leave a comment!!!

13 comments:

Mom of four said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mom of four said...

We will all get it as soon as they let us. Except Sophie, since she already had it. My other girls and I probably had it, but since it was not confirmed by a laboratory, we'll get the shot (flu mist, hopefully!!)

We get our flu shots every year, so this won't be too different for us, just an extra shot.

Meedy said...

I am not running out my door right now to get it. Really, I am undecided. We get flu shots every year and have already gotten them this year. Our Ped told us to get it for our kids but we haven't decided yet. So reading your blog comments will be helpful for me!

Shawn Jensen said...

Nope...I have not received flu shot in my short adult life and neither has Shawn and I am pretty sure we didn't get them as kids (cause our parents were too poor) and we are both still here. Kids need to develop an immune system and if we are constantly vaccinating them, they never will and "natural selection" will take over. I understand that other parents and people might feel differently and that is okay. That is what makes this country so great, we can agree to disagree =)

Hillary Hall said...

Oh my goodness I love that picture on top of your blog! So stinkin cute! How did you get him to keep the hat on? I love it!

Joe - Kristie Runyan said...

I just got Jayden vaccinated about 4 days ago. I'll get the shot when it comes out. There's just too much scary stuff about the H1N1. So far, cross your fingers, Jayden hasn't shown any reaction to the vaccine.

Traeger Tribe said...

how funny I've been having this debate for awhile now with myself... First, I'll probably get one since they say that "pregnant women" are at a high risk of death... don't want that. But where I'm really mixed is with Colton. He just does not react well to vaccines of any kind... he doesn't get sick or have rashes but his behavior is awful for about 3 weeks afterwards... I realized that last year and decided I would not get him a flu shot again, but now with the whole H1N1 thing, I'm back to debating. I will say this though, his cousins/neighbors have been sick 3 separate times now in just 6 weeks and so far he hasn't caught it from him... AHHH the joys of motherhood :)

Megan said...

Not sure on this one yet. I have never had a flu shot and I haven't gotten the flu (knock on wood!). I will have to do a little more research before I sign up for anyone in my family to get it. Are you guys getting the vaccine?

Gabbitas Family said...

I've never had a flu shot before and don't remember getting the flu. Taylor's never had a flu shot either. I can't decide what to do. I just want to make sure I do the right thing for myself and family.

Sharolyn Gabbitas said...

I will not be getting it. However, it is getting pretty bad out there; the whole flu scare and the amount of people getting sick and the rise of deaths. Everyone has to make their own informed decision and then live clean and sanitary to try to stay healthy if possible right? It's still going to be hard because of the interaction with other people.

I just have my own opinions. (lots of 'em) For one thing, they do not currently regulate or run tests on anyone that they vaccinate (especially children and babies). Google "Last name Poling and Florida." This is a family who had a bright young toddler who received her 5 vaccination shots one day, went home with a fever, seizures, etc...She is 9 or 10 now with permanent brain damage and autistic like symptoms. Katie Couric interviewed them and said that there were about a dozen others going back at least 15 or 20 years that the govt doesn't want to talk about (they were paid off). This little girl had a cell disorder nobody new about. Yes she is the exception of several million vaccines each year. But I wonder how many are making others sick and they just aren't unraveling the mystery because it didn't happen quickly as in her case. Why not take a quick test before sticking kids with some foreign substance. I think medical research has overlooked this part of vaccinations for too many years!

As far as the FLU and SWINE FLU. The general flu & swine flu shot contains traces of egg in it and if people don't know and aren't informed it could cause them to get sick if they have alergies to it. It also contains formaldehyde. Yummy. If I had to get something for the Swine Flu right now I may opt for the mist in the nose rather than the shot because the shot contains thimerosol. This is a chemical they put in many vaccinations (which upsets pregnant women sometimes) and it is a preservative for that chemical that is 49.6% mercury. That is very dangerous to have as a toxin in your body.

When I was little and got the Tetnus shot it paralyzed half of my body for a day or so (mom said)...so I never did get the follow up in high school! Ha! Hope I never step on any nails...

Yeah...I don't know what I think except that I think there should be more screenings. I think it has been overlooked for waaaayyyyy too many years by the health communities.

Amber said...

I don't know enough about the swine flu or its vaccine to be able to intellegently comment on it, but it scares me, personally. I did get a regular flu shot because I'm pregnant (that scared me too), but I read somewhere that pregnant women shouldn't get the swine flu vaccine because it's a live virus or something. So personally, it scares the crap out of me. When I feel like I'm getting sick, like I did last week, I gargle with warm salt water and I always feel better the next day. I read that it keeps any virus from settling. So there ya go.

Misty said...

I use to not care too much about getting flu shots then a child of a family friend died from the flu a couple of years ago. I always used to think it happened to everyone else, everywhere else, you know the non-handwashing germ carrying type then it hit a little closer to home for me. We have gotten them since. Now I go with the philosophy of do what you can and then if something happens I will know that at least I did what I could. I have also discussed it with our pediatrician, family dr, and a family member (also a dr). They are all trusted, educated individuals (to me) that have encouraged both the seasonal and H1N1 vacciantions. With that and the fact that a couple of members of my little family are considered "immune compromised" we went for the seasonal flu shots a couple of weeks ago and the H1H1 today. My two hour wait with no stroller (not very smart of me) was well worth the wait for my piece of mind.

nate & traci said...

Every time I have gotten the flu shot I ended up with the worst flu ever. So, I stopped getting them forever ago.

Jack and I are both battling swine flu right now. Jack is on the mend. I on the other hand want to kill myself :)Yes, it's that bad.