Thursday, January 8, 2009

My baby is 2!

group (notice Ster on video chat, he's in Costa Rica)
Our dinner spread
Newborn Tay
Tay 1 year old birthday

I can't believe it! My little baby, well, now toddler is 2. He is growing up so much! He's been talking a lot more, or attempting to. He has the most energetic personality and so fun to be around. He thinks he is the star of the show. I've been thinking a lot today about what I was doing 2 years ago today.

When I pictured giving birth to a child, this is what/how I thought it would go:
*I would be close to family, why not?
*I would have a ton of visitors come to the hospital.
*When I was pregnant with Tay, I pictured having contractions all night, waiting for the last possible second to go to the hospital. I would be in pain for hours and hours, then get a huge needle in my back and push for 10 hours.

This is how it really happened...NOTHING LIKE I THOUGHT-
*I lived in NY, across the country from ANY family.
*We had one visitor at the hospital, The Schelin family.
*My water broke and I still went to my weekly appointment. The doctor told us we needed to go to the hospital, and I rode in complete comfort. No pain. I had 2 mild contractions all day while I tried to go into labor and never did. We finally decided on a c-section. They wheeled me in to the OR, Taylor was born, and all I had to do was recover from a major surgery.

I had a friend who was pregnant at th same time (see previous post). We ended up both having c-sections and had hospital rooms right next to each other. It was something I will probably never get again, but I felt like it was quite a party :-). Our ward in New York was so generous to us. We had meals for a week or more and we had a lot of visitors once we brought Taylor home. I had great doctors and a great supporting husband who was by my side every step of the way. My mom came out to NY to help us with Taylor. She helped me out a lot with feeding, bathing, sleeping, ect. Her goal was to get Tay on a pacifier or suck his thumb before she left. THAT NEVER HAPPENED, but it wasn't because she didn't try. Taylor did not want to do anything with either of them.

Taylor has brought us so much joy. Sterling and I have learned A LOT the last 2 years. We have learned that Taylor does things on his own time and his own will. Everything has to be fun for him. I have to get very creative sometimes.

We've had a fun day today. We went and got balloons for decorations for his family party. We went and saw my mom at work, then went to Panda Express for lunch. We came home and took a nap (yes, both of us) and then we had a family party with my parents, brother, and sister-in-law.

4 comments:

CandraWynne said...

McKayla wants to wish Taylor a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! COME HOME SOON!!!

Megan said...

Happy Birthday buddy! I'm so glad that you can be with your family while Ster is gone.

Meg said...

I can not believe Tay is two and even more than that I can not believe how big he is from when we first met you guys! I hope you are having a blast in Utah although I do wish you were here!!

Dubb Days said...

Happy Birthday! How fun! He is just going to get funner and funner (eben when you deal with a whole new window of defiancy and whining:) Oh and the picture of your mom in her classroom--pretty sure she is the youngest looking mom ever!